I am building out my fleet of Particle Boron devices which send data to Ubidots using a Particle Integration based on a webhook. Here is why I went this way back when I made this decision:
- Less code - less libraries and less code for me to maintain
- Consistent Particle.publish() format for sending status data to the console or data to Ubidots
- Response templates - Automatically strip the response from Ubidots down to a single integer (201 success / 400 or other failure) which made it easier for my code to determine if the data was delivered and could be deleted from the device.
- Security - Webhook data is encrypted from my device to Ubidots
However, this approach does have its downsides:
- Not clear how to implement a mesh to cellular gateway model
- troubleshooting Webhooks is a real pain in the butt
- Particle is very sensitive about the response time - Ubidots only has 6 seconds to acknowledge a response and this has caused issues periodically
I saw that Ubidots has a new Particle Library - https://ubidots.com/blog/particle-mesh-library/ AND it is a new year AND I am moving from Electrons to Borons so…
Can someone give me some advice or pros / cons of using Webhooks versus the Ubidots Particle library?